Thursday, December 7, 2023

Grief Devotional

 

Grief    

 Invited devotional for Book

 “The darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief, the closer is God!” — Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Grief is just love with no place to go." — Jamie Anderson


Psalm 34.18 

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. NIV

 

My Dear One

In this season of advent, it may seem as if you are required to act as if you have no pain, as if all is lovely. I need you to know…Though you may feel as if you do not have the strength to endure this loss, I am here for you. I will be your strength, holding you up. And it may feel as if you are in the very depths of darkness, I meet you there. I will be your light, guiding you. And if despair threatens to overtake you and all feels hopeless, I will hope for you, waiting until hope rises again.

And if, my child, your heart is full of trouble, and chaos surrounds you, I am peace that passes all understanding, I will be your place of refuge and rest.  

And when it seems all is lost, that you are lost, and the sadness overwhelms you, I am your way back to joy.  I will give you everlasting joy. 

I see your heartache and know that it feels like there is not room for anything but this grief. I make space for both love and suffering to occupy the same place. My beloved, I know of loss. My only son left his heavenly place to come as babe, leaving all behind to become vulnerable in his humanity. Jesus was simultaneously filled with love for you even as he was bearing all the world's sins and sufferings on the cross. 

Know that my love can handle your ache and that there is space to grieve with me. 

 

What does it look like to let The Lord be your hope, peace, joy and love this advent amid grief?

 

Meditate on the verse above and invite the Lord into your broken heart or pray for someone who is brokenhearted that they would feel his nearness today.

 

Bio

Dale Cupo is an intercessor by heart. She is committed to be an encouragement to the brokenhearted and speak life into the dark places.

No comments:

Post a Comment