Thursday, April 30, 2015

connections

Be it age or revelation, I have become more aware of my need to spend time with my extended family. Facebook, texting and phone time are all well and good but let’s face it, face to face moments are to be treasured. It is about making connections and making our short spell on this earth meaningful through relationships. It started this year with the honor of flying to Florida with my sister to mark my dad’s 80th birthday.  Then came lovely visits with my first niece including her driving out two times in the past 3 month’s one of which was “just because”. Yesterday was spent driving to New Jersey to have the opportunity to visit with a cousin from Arizona. The day was filled with an added bonus as I got to share a meal with my step mom, dad, sister and niece as well. I am feeling reflective as I think about my nephew and his gal making plans to move to Arizona. His Impromptu and planned visits to us throughout his four years at University of Delaware have been especially warming and will be sorely missed. Time does not stand still and our windows of opportunity are not predictable. I am guilty of neglecting family connections and placing them on the back burners especially those outside my immediate sphere. Missed opportunities like seeing my other niece get married are places of regret that I hope to visit less often as I try to spend my time connecting more often.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a good reminder! Relationships are all we take with us as we walk out the door of life on earth! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete