Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hearing and Seeing.


She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen[c] the One who sees me.”                  14 That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi[d]; it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered. 15 So Hagar bore Abram a son, and Abram gave the name Ishmael to the son she had borne. Genesis 16
17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation". Genesis 21

     Today a woman at work broke down and just began crying in the midst of serving her Headstart kiddo's their lunch.  Where did this pain come from and how long had this dear sweet woman been struggling? The teacher had no idea nor did I.  It took us by "surprise" but what if in my 15 minutes a week interactions with this woman I would simply say "hey how are you doing or how was your week?".  I am not beating myself up or suggesting that we become mind readers but "what if... I took notice a little more, extended myself beyond my immediate circle of friends at work. What if I listened and looked with more purpose and compassion. God see's and hears us, do we see and hear his creation? God is gracious because I did get an opportunity to pray over her and listen as she recovered.


"Lord forgive me the days when I have walked past others hurting, not seeing or hearing, I pray for ears and eye's to be open and willing".

No comments:

Post a Comment